Saturday, March 16, 2013

This

Thank you, local paper, for publishing a clear-headed article behind the discipline numbers in our system.

For the last two years, our administration has trumpeted the decrease in suspensions in our school system.  I think a lot of that decrease was in response to an NAACP complaint that led to a federal Office of Civil Rights investigation of why black males were being written up in a greater proportion to their percentage of the total population of students.

Well, it's easy for suspension numbers to go down...when students aren't written up.  It got to the point last year that I had to keep my own records of students I had written up.  I didn't trust my principals to follow through on suspending kids that I thought needed it, and I was right.  I'm glad to see that I'm not the only teacher that sees this.

No comments:

Post a Comment