Friday, March 18, 2011

Not So Fab?



ESPN's fabulous 30 for 30 series recently aired a documentary on the Fab Five, Michigan's vaunted freshmen who played in two national title games. The doc was great, and it brought back many memories from my time in college--I went to college the same year those guys did.

I never rooted for the Fab Five. I disliked all of the theatrics and baggy pants (I did buy a pair of black adidas hi-tops and black socks, though). One comment made in the movie that made waves were the comments of executive producer (and Fab Five member) Jalen Rose, who said he felt at the time that the blacks that played for Duke were "Uncle Toms."

Needless to say, there were people that were not happy with Rose's comments, especially Grant Hill. Hill fired off an editorial that called out the attitudes of the Fab Five.

I understand why Hill reacted the way he did, but I think he missed the context of Rose's quote. Rose didn't say he still thought that the Duke players are still Uncle Toms, he just thought that back then. I know there are things I thought when I was 18 that I definitely don't think now. I'm sure all of us can say the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment