Monday, December 31, 2012

Bowl Money



I just came back from the Russell Athletic Bowl in Orlando, and had a fantastic time.  I went to the game, did the touristy stuff and then came home.

One of the highlights for me was buying tickets to the game.  I know that sounds strange, but hear me out.  My alma mater wanted me to buy tickets through them for $72 per.  The bowl itself was selling upper level seats for a minimum of $20.  Stubhub?  8 lower level tickets for $10 apiece.  Guess which one I picked?

I'm not sure how much longer that bowls can keep up this system of forcing schools to sell 10,000+ tickets at wildly inflated face values.  Smart fans aren't going to pay those prices, and some fans are losing interest in attending bowl games altogether.  The bowls, schools and conferences need to sit down and hammer out a more reasonable way to make bowl trips palatable to fans.  I love to support my school and I love to save money--why can't I do both when going on a bowl trip?

No comments:

Post a Comment