Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Sage of St. Anthony



"60 Minutes" is always a go-to when looking for great storytelling, and the piece last month on Bobby Hurley, Sr. is no different.

The name Bobby Hurley always conjures up the old Duke point guard from the early '90s. I was aware his father was a successful high school basketball coach, but I didn't know much about him or his school.

I showed my class the video embedded above, and asked them what they thought about Coach Hurley. They all agreed he was a great coach. When I asked my class about Hurley's contract (which requires players to swear off drugs, alcohol, tattoos, etc.), I was surprised at how many of them thought the contract was a good idea. There was a little resistance to the tattoo ban, but I guess that's to be expected at my school.

No comments:

Post a Comment