Monday, May 23, 2011

RIP, Macho



I spent the day showing my kids videos of Randy "Macho Man" Savage, the old wrestler who was one-of-a-kind. A lot of my Saturday mornings in the '80s were used to watch Macho battle other classic '80s wrestlers, like Jake "The Snake" Roberts and Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, and Macho was always the guy that grabbed your attention, whether in or out of the ring.

Many of my students laughed at the match vs. The Dragon, due to its blatant "fakiness." As I pointed out, everyone in the (sold-out) audience knew the matches were scripted, but that didn't stop them from cheering their heads off.

Randy "Macho Man" Savage, you were truly one of the greats!

For a great write-up of the Macho Man's career, make sure to check out the article on deadspin.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment