Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Why Johnny Can't Write

From: rmc.edu

Good blog in the Washington Post this week about why Johnny can't write.  In the blog, a college professor tells the story of a student so ignorant that he couldn't even cheat write.

This blog was a follow-up to another blog post about how to make assignments plagarism-proof.  That has been something that has bothered me since I was a student.  If you care enough about the assignment to cheat, then just do the assignment.  If you don't care about the assignment, then don't do it (or don't do a good job on it).

As I explained at our summer conference last week, the only way I know how to make assignments cheat-proof is to ask a lot of open-ended questions.  This creates a lot of work on my end after students turn in their assignments, but it is worth it to me if I can get original work from them.

Long-term, I'm not sure what the answer is to stamping out cheating.  When I give out worksheets, the default response of my students is to turn to each other and share answers--before I even finish giving the instructions.  If we're going to fix this culture, it's going to take more than just a few teachers to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment