Sunday, June 30, 2013

End of an Era (Again)

From: chapelboro.com

I grew up watching an 8 team ACC, so I remember all the grumbling from the Tobacco Road folks when the conference expanded to 12 teams in 2005.  The main issue was that the four schools in North Carolina weren't going to play each other twice a year in basketball.  I understand that complaining, and think the league could have kept home-and-homes if they were to realize that no one cares if BC and Virginia Tech don't play twice a year.

I wonder how this new 15 team league will operate.  The future conference schedules have already been released, and it's bad enough that every team doesn't play every other team in its conference every year--we're long past that point.  The new ACC is so big that players won't even see every venue in the conference by the time they graduate.

In the new world (post-2003) of conference alignment, it's poach or be poached, so I don't blame the ACC for bringing in three new teams.  But I wish there was more of a commitment to having every team in the league play each other more regularly than they are planning to, especially when there is a way to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment