Saturday, July 16, 2011

Big Advertising in the Big Apple

Photo by: me

My family recently returned from a trip to New York City, and the advertising, particularly around Times Square, always grabs my attention.

Why? I guess it's because so much of it is devoted to promoting TV shows and movies. At home, most billboards are advertising local stores or services. In New York, I saw a ton of ads for the last Harry Potter movie, as well as Rizzoli & Isles, Alphas, Torchwood and many more.

The only TV show I can recall seeing being advertised via billboards around here was the show Witchblade, nearly 10 years ago. Why aren't there more TV shows being advertised outside a major media market like NYC? My guess: due to TV shows living and dying on viewer eyeballs, marketers believe they can get more bang for their buck by advertising these shows in major cities, where more eyeballs will see the ads. I also have to believe that trying to catch the attention of critics (based in big cities) factors in, too. Although critical success doesn't guarantee the survival of a show--I'm sure the cast and crew of Men of a Certain Age would agree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment