Saturday, January 22, 2011

Grading Parents

From: Microsoft Clip Art Gallery

I got really excited when I first read the headline of an article about a Florida politcian's proposal to have teachers grade the parents of their K-3 students. Before I started teaching, my theory about school success was that schools are only as good as the parents demand them to be. Five years into teaching, and I haven't changed my mind about this. To me, our school report card shows that their is a lack of effort by our parents to get our kids to do well on their tests. So, at first glance, grading parents sounds like a good idea.

As I read the arguments in the article, however, I thought that the reasons against the grading seemed convincing. In an ideal world, teachers should be working with parents to help students be successful. Giving a parent an F may be accurate, but not necessarily helpful in getting the job done. After all, how would teachers feel if parents could grade us?

No comments:

Post a Comment